April 15, 2020
Hello Republic School Students and Families,
First we want you to know how much we miss you, and praying that you are all well and safe during this difficult time in our history. We were very saddened about the decision to keep schools closed for the remainder of the 2019-2020 school year, and respect the decisions made by Governor Inslee. Keeping students and staff safe is always our number one priority regardless of the threat. Staying home and staying healthy is the best possible thing to do right now. Learning and lessons will continue, even if it looks different than what we are used to.
To help our students with continuous learning, we want to share some information with you about our plan. We will have homework packets available for delivery or pick-up in a variety of ways for families starting next week. The work sent home will be graded, and will count for 25 % of student’s grades for the second semester.
- Weekly homework packets will be sent on buses with meals starting Next Wednesday, April 22, 2020. The following Wednesday, April 29, students can send completed work back to school on the buses and receive new packets. This will be an ongoing system on Wednesday’s until June 17. Meals will still be delivered Mondays and Wednesdays. ONLY students receiving meals will get homework delivered this way. *NOTE* Meals are available for pick-up or delivery Monday and Wednesday both breakfast and lunch. If you would like to sign up, please call Amy Sharbono at 509-775-3327.
- Homework packets for students who are not receiving meals on bus routes will be available for pickup on Wednesday from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm in the front office at the elementary school, or at the window from the high school office. Returning work to school will be same, pick up packets on Wednesday and return on Wednesday. Turn around for grading will be one week.
- For families who are not having meals delivered and cannot pick up work on Wednesday, we will do our best to deliver work packets to your home on Thursday or Friday. This is a limited service the district will provide for families so please make every effort to pick up work on Wednesdays.
As we move forward and continue to follow the guidance from state and local officials, we will keep you posted on graduation, grading, and other events as plans are made. We are so appreciative of the overwhelming support we have received from the community and Republic School staff, they have done an amazing job. Thank you for your patience as we figure out this new way of delivering instruction and meal service to students. We are confident that we will get through this time with interesting stories, a lot of humor, and most importantly a strong school community.
Thank you again. If you need anything or have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me. I am at school Monday through Thursday, 8:00-3:00 pm. My direct line is 509-207-7376 or cell is 509-740-7489. You can also reach me via email: email@example.com. Please give your child a hug for me, and tell them how much we love and miss our Republic Tigers!
Carolann Gutierrez (Mrs. G)
March 23, 2020
Dear Republic #309 Families,
Thank you for your support and flexibility during this trying time. We have been flooded with information and advice from federal, state and local health officials and are evaluating how to both serve students and keep our students, staff, and community safe. This is a balancing act.
Republic School District #309 is offering Food Service Pick-up, Delivery and Emergency Childcare beginning today, March 23, 2020.
If you are interested in FOOD SERVICE PICK-UP: Brown bags meals, containing both breakfast and lunch, are available from 11:15am - 12:00pm, Mondays and Wednesdays at the school. All kids, 0-18, are welcome to receive food in the drive-thru which will be set-up in the parking lot.
If you are interested in FOOD SERVICE DELIVERY: Pre-registered families should meet the bus at their normal bus stop. The delivery schedule is approximately the Early Release drop-off time. Delivery is Mondays and Wednesdays. For more information, call the Elementary Office: 509-775-3327.
If you are interested in EMERGENCY CHILDCARE: Please fill-out the Emergency Childcare Registration Form and return it to the school's office, prior to receiving services.
Please note: Emergency Childcare is for families of medical personnel, first-responders, and others, as pre-approved. We have very limited spaces available, so families should consider other options, if possible.
Also, Spring Break is April 6 - April 10, 2020. School offices will be closed and no food service will be offered during this time.
Thank you for your patience as we work as quickly as possible to develop these new services. Please know we are doing the best we can with the information available. Our community has a long-standing reputation of resiliency and unity in times of crisis. It’s an honor to serve the district during this time.
Superintendent Kevin Young
March 15, 2020
Dear Republic #309 families,
Republic School District #309 continued its efforts over the weekend to define answers to many of the questions pertaining to Governor Inslee’s closure of all K-12 schools in the state from March 17 – April 24, 2020.
As we continue to solidify plans, we’d like to provide the following updates:
Monday, March 16 will serve as a transition day for staff and families to help them adjust to the closure. We encourage students to attend school on Monday to pick up their belongings and to talk with educators. However, we respect the decision of any family who keeps their child home. Also, medications should be picked up on Monday if they’ll be needed during the closure or they may be left at the school until operations resume.
In the meantime, we anticipate offering:
- Food Service: We anticipate offering limited food service to our students. Final details will be announced on Monday, March 16.
- Daycare: We anticipate offering limited childcare. Per Gov. Inslee's proclamation priority will be given to medical personnel, first responders, and others as needed, but families should consider additional options, if available.
- Optional Learning Activities: Republic School Staff are meeting Monday, March 16th to discuss this. As more information becomes available, both from the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction and from educators, we will keep you informed.
To help support families in the interim, Republic School District has posted the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction’s (OSPI) new resources for parents on its website: “How to talk to kids about COVID-19 and school closures” as well as, “COVID-19 in Schools: A Parent’s Guide.” Printed copies of these are available in the District Office or can be mailed by calling 509-775-3173.
We will provide new information as soon as it becomes available and will continue to be in regular contact via email, text, mobile app., social media, and on our website republic309.org.
We greatly appreciate our community’s support during this time.
Superintendent Kevin Young
March 13, 2020
As many of you have heard, Gov. Jay Inslee just announced a statewide K-12 school closure effective Tues. March 17 - Fri. April 24.
As of now, we know:
- Republic School District will operate as normal on Monday, March 16, 2020.
- Beginning Tuesday, March 17, school will be closed for students.
- Beginning Tuesday, March 17, athletics are postponed until further notice. This includes all practices and games.
We are finalizing plans to support our families during the closure in the following ways:
- Providing meals to children
- Providing childcare for our families, especially to first responders and healthcare workers, following the guidance of Gov. Inslee
- Providing open communication and resources to support student success
We will keep families informed via telephone, email, text, website and social media channels.
If you are not receiving these messages via our All-Call system and would like to, please call the District Office at 509-775-3173.
Thank you for partnering with us, and for being understanding, as we all work together on this.
Tiger Pride, Republic Strong!
Superintendent Kevin Young
March 13, 2020
Dear Republic School District Families,
Gov. Jay Inslee just announced a statewide K-12 school closure effective Tues. March 17 - Fri. April 24. Republic #309 will communicate any and all updates we receive and send more information as it becomes available.